Thursday, July 17, 2014

Working and Sleevin'

I went back to work this week. The first few days were pretty rough but I think I learned from them and am hoping I am in a better groove now. Here are my initial tips for going back to work post-op:

You have to figure out ways to make it super easy to get in your liquids and your protein! I bought a mini-fridge for my office because I hate interrupting my work when I am focused on something in order to go to the communal kitchen. If my drinks and snacks are right in my office, it doesn't feel like an interruption to grab something.

Pay attention to what time it is when you eat. During my two weeks off, I didn't worry much about the clock but now I need to make a mental note of what time it is and when I should switch to my next stage.  I haven't set a fixed routine but find that eating every three hours helps me keep my energy up.  For example, today I had a protein shake at 9am, Greek yogurt at noon, and another protein shake around 3pm. I got in my liquids in between by having a glass of water around 7:30am, decaf iced tea around 10 and a vitamin water zero at 4pm. I forgot to drink between 1-3 but at least that wasn't too long of a stretch. I ate baby food  for dinner around 6:30pm (a surprising tasty purée of beans and veggies variety brought to me by a co-worker. Especially good once I added some salt and pepper!) I had a low-sugar yogurt Popsicle for dessert around 7:30 and now I am drinking some crystal light.

Wear comfortable clothes. Sitting in one position for a long period of time is a bit hard on my incisions and it helps to be wearing loose clothing.

Warn co-workers than your new baby stomach makes loud noises after eating so you won't be as embarrassed when it happens.

No comments:

Post a Comment