Tuesday, July 8, 2014

Ups and Downs

It's been eight days since my surgery and I am still recovering and not ready for much else.  I started driving yesterday and it was quite uncomfortable physically so I am going to stick close to home and only drive when necessary until my incisions are less sore.  I have 6 incisions and most of them feel ok most of the time but the one above my belly button really hurts, even when I am just sitting on the couch.  I don't think it's infected (the doctor gave me a handout on what to look out for and I don't have any of the signs of infection) but I am surprised that it hurts as much as it does.  I see my doctor tomorrow so they will check it and make sure everything's ok.  I also want to talk to the doc about pain management because I feel like they gave contradictory messages- take the heavy duty pain meds if you need it vs. try to wean yourself off the narcotics as soon as possible.  Um, which one is it?  I have stopped the narcotics except at bedtime but it the pain is definitely a bummer without them. Plain tylenol doesn't really help at all and I'm not allowed NSAIDs (advil, aleve, aspirin.)  In other news, as of this morning I have lost 8 pounds since my surgery.  I lost 10 before surgery so I am down 18 pounds total. Amazing!  I stay on a liquid diet for another 2 days and then I will be allowed to eat smooth purees- stage one or two baby food, soups, sugar-free yogurt, etc.

So how am I spending my time? Mostly watching lots of TV while slowly sipping on protein shakes and vitamin water zero.  My dvr is empty at this point so I've resorted to sitcom reruns: Roseanne, Will & Grace- currently watching a fun episode called The Unsinkable Mommy Adler, The People's Court (I want to be Judge Marilyn Milian in my next life),  and my newest guilty pleasure- Botched on E!, which is a reality show about a pair of plastic surgeons who fix patients' botched plastic surgeries by (you guessed it) more plastic surgeries.

No comments:

Post a Comment