Tuesday, July 29, 2014

Four weeks since surgery

Yesterday was my 4 week anniversary! I am feeling much more normal than I did during the first few weeks. I still tire easily but that's not a big surprise given how little I am eating, how much stress I am under, and how hot it is outside. I am totally sick of my puréed diet but am allowed to advance to the next stage- soft foods- on Thursday. I have started a bit early by experimenting with some finely chopped egg salad and smoked salmon salad (two separate things.) so far so good.  The only things forbidden on the next stage are raw fruits and veggies and nuts and seeds but many people find there are other things they just can't tolerate yet. (Still no caffeine, added sugar, carbonation or alcohol as well.) The rule is to always eat protein first, then veggies, and only fruit or starch if you still have room.  This helps the healing process and helps the body choose to lose fat rather than muscle mass. Since I don't eat meat or poultry or shellfish, I will be eating a lot of fish, eggs, and dairy products.  Beans are hard to digest at this stage but very well-cooked beans in small amounts may be ok. My hope is that I can get enough protein from my meals and snacks to go down to one protein shake a day, which would be great because I am super sick of them. As of today I have lost 25 pounds, which feels awesome!

No comments:

Post a Comment