Sunday, July 13, 2014

Back to Work and Purée Experimentation Phase

Tomorrow will be two weeks since my surgery and my first day back at work full-time.  I feel ready- my pain is almost gone at this point, I am sleeping well at night, and as long as I get enough protein and liquids are don't go too long without eating my energy is not bad. I still have some activity restrictions- lifting greater than 10 pounds, swimming, heavy exercise, but otherwise I am free to go about my day normally except for the special diet.  The diet is ok- I graduated from the liquid diet to the purée stage, which will last for 3 weeks. Basically everything I eat has to be the consistency of stage 1 or 2 baby food, which means completely smooth and quite runny.  I also need to get in a minimum of 60 grams of protein per day, which is quite a challenge with the very small stomach capacity.  At this point, I usually have room for about 1/4 cup of food per meal.  For whatever reasons, certain foods are much easier to tolerate than others, which seems to have little rhyme or reason.  Here's what I have tried so far and how it worked out for me:
Cottage cheese mixed with stage 1 baby apples sprinkled with cinnamon- good
Runny mashed potatoes mixed with "chicken" broth flavored protein powder- so/so
Runny cream of wheat mixed with vanilla protein powder- good
Cottage cheese mixed with baby squash- couldn't get it down at all
Plain Greek yogurt mixed with baby apples- good
Runny mashed potatoes mixed with unflavored protein powder- good
Sugar free dark chocolate pudding mixed with plain Greek yogurt, creamy peanut butter, PB2, and milk- good
Low-fat ricotta mixed with tomato sauce, heated- good
Butternut squash soup mixed with unflavored protein powder- couldn't get it down

Not the world's most interesting diet but it works!

No comments:

Post a Comment