Thursday, May 15, 2014

What's on your coping list?

When I met with the psychiatrist for the mandatory pre-surgery consultation, she recommended that I write a list of alternatives to eating for when I am tempted to eat emotionally and carry the list around with me all of the time.  I have been thinking about what could go on my list but haven't actually written it yet.  It's not a new question for me- I spent many therapy sessions over the years bemoaning the fact that I hadn't been able to find satisfying alternatives to emotional eating.  Exercise? No way- feels like a punishment.  Writing in a journal? Helpful for sorting out my thoughts but not a realistic option on the go and not immediate enough. One therapist suggested that since emotional overeating was a learned behavior from very early on in my life, I needed to find something else that would feel primal and soothing.  I bought a giant stuffed teddy bear and tried hugging it tightly when I wanted to eat but I just felt foolish.  So I guess I am still searching.

No comments:

Post a Comment